Sports in College Towns

Maggie Leone '17, Sports Editor

As Pittsburghers, most Oakland Catholic students feel a great loyalty to their city’s sports teams: the Penguins, the Pirates, and the Steelers. Does this loyalty carry over to their college years, or do OC graduates endorse their college towns’ sports teams? I predict that most students will stay true to Pittsburgh, but I am not certain in any capacity. Personally, I am off to Boston University next year, and I cannot imagine becoming a Bruins, Red Sox, or Patriots fan; in fact, I look forward to the chance to spread my Pittsburgh pride all over the city, cheering for black and gold no matter what. 2016 OC graduate Lily Kondrich, who now attends George Washington University in Washington, D.C., is a huge Penguins fan who happens to have a great disdain for the Capitals (as most Pens fans do). Whenever she knows there is a Capitals game (especially against the Penguins), she wears a Penguins jersey around the city, proud to show her Pittsburgh roots.  One of her friends from school, who happens to be from Boston, is a both Capitals and Bruins fan, so they two of them have a fun playful rivalry and enjoy watching the games together. Similarly, current OC senior Chloe Stiles will be attending John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio next year and has always been a Penguins fan.  She says, “Of course I will continue supporting Pittsburgh sports teams!  I have always been a fan of the Penguins, so I’ll keep watching hockey, but watching the Steelers will definitely be harder around all those Browns fans.”  It might be hard to maintain support for Pittsburgh teams throughout our college years, but I think most of us will try valiantly to stay true to our hometown.