OC Volleyball Team Welcomes New Coaches

Andalushia Reilly '20, Staff Writer

They OC volleyball team is off to a great start with their new coaches, in their 2017 season. Get to know the new head coach, Emily Reeser, with this interview:

Question: How many years have you been playing volleyball?

Answer: Since I was in sixth grade, and I was 13, so about 12 years.

Question: Where did you go to college?

Answer: I went to Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania.

Question: What do you think is the most important characteristic of a player?

Answer: I don’t think there is one, I think it’s two characteristics. And I think they are determination and positivity.

Question: What do you think is the most important characteristic of a coach?

Answer: Same thing, there is not just one, so definitely you have to have a positive mentality as well as an open mind and versatility as well.

Question: What inspired you to play volleyball not just start, but also continue?

Answer: I think that it’s a sport that is underrated. It’s a lot of fun and it’s a good team sport. You know there is always team sports where an individual can take the lead, but this is one thing where you are forced to work with each other, and having that has really built me into who I am. So I think just wanting to have team members who are there to support no matter what was one thing that I was seeking to have as a middle schooler as I started playing.

Question: What is your favorite thing about the (national + international) volleyball community?

Answer: Well for one they are always looking to grow that community and they always give opportunities to new coaches to learn different things and go on different experiences and adventures to grow as a professional as well. And I think that you see across the country in general the level of play that is the goal not only in the United States but across seas as well.

Question: Is there anyone that you would like to thank for pushing you to become a better player and/or person?

Answer: I would definitely have to say that my first coach ever, was my middle school/junior high coach, Gabby Wegman, and she was just someone who made you better because you had to be determined and focused to succeed and she kind of embedded that in us, all while having fun and winning and just having a good time, and being teammates with one another.

Question: What are your goals for this season?

Answer: Our main goal is to win states, but you know starting out smaller to win sections, to definitely surpass last year’s first round WPIAL and just win the WPIAL in general I think that is a big goal for our season and team this year. And I think that is very reachable as well.