East Coast Showdown: Battle for Super Bowl LII Greatness

Emma Holtz '20, Literary Arts Editor

The stage is set, the turf is well tended, and the Vince Lombardi Trophy is freshly polished: the countdown to Super Bowl LII has begun! On February 4th, 2018 at 6:30 PM Eastern, the Philadelphia Eagles will take on the New England Patriots in frigid Minneapolis, Minnesota for a Super Bowl game of epic proportions. In fact, these two teams had met back in 2005 for Super Bowl XXXIX, where the Patriots snatched the victory from the Eagles with a score of 24-21. By the looks of it, a rematch is in order. Both teams have powerhouse players on their side, but all eyes will be on Tom Brady and the Patriots to see if he can clench his 6th Super Bowl title of his career at 40 years old. If the Patriots emerge victorious on Sunday, they will tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers as the team with the most Super Bowl wins across the NFL League. This possibility will not sit well with Pittsburgh fans, since the Patriots and Steelers are sworn rivals in the AFC Division. The Steelers’ shocking Divisional round playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars knocked the black and gold out of the Super Bowl running, while the Jaguars traveled to Brady’s home turf in Foxborough, Massachusetts to compete in the AFC Championship. The Patriots came from an 11-point deficit to win 24-20 and move on the NFL’s biggest stage for a record 10th time. Meanwhile, the Eagles crushed the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship 38-7, officially guaranteeing them a sideline for their third Super Bowl appearance.

Millions of families across the country are expected to gather around their televisions to watch the first monumental event of February. Some watch for the football, but others watch for the multi-million dollar commercials and the Halftime Show which is being performed by Justin Timberlake this year. The Super Bowl has become an American tradition that stretches from coast to coast and overseas. No matter if your favorite team is competing or not, this Sunday’s game promises to keep its viewers on the edge of their seats until the final seconds on clock run down.