Pittsburgh Penguins Hit a Dead End on the Road to a 3peat

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Sports Editor

The mesmerizing sound of skates gliding across the glossy ice, the vibrant energy that fills the arena from faithful fans in black and yellow, the thundering cheers when the puck crosses the goal line; this is what NHL playoff hockey is all about.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have had yet another successful hockey season, placing second in the Metropolitan Division and securing a spot in the playoffs. Hoping to win the Stanley Cup for the third consecutive year and defend their title as Stanley Cup champions, the Pens left everything out on the ice. In round one, the Penguins went head to head with their in-state rivals, the Philadelphia Flyers. Fortunately, the Pens were able to clinch the series in game 6, scoring 8 goals and winning the series 4-2. Then they moved on to round 2 and played their other rivals, the Washington Capitals. After 4 games, the series was tied 2-2 and fans were unsure which team would come out on top. In the end, the Capitals beat the Penguins 2-1 in overtime in game 6, and obtained a spot in round 3 for the first time in 19 years.

Although the Penguins were disappointed that their time in the playoffs was cut short, they remained confident in their abilities and proud of their achievements. After their final game, Evgeni Malkin commented: “Today was a sad day, but we need to look forward. We’ll work hard and be better next year. I’m really proud of what we’ve done.” Penguins’ fans and players alike are devastated about the loss, but everyone is optimistic about what next season has in store!