Field Hockey 2018 Season Update!

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Features Editor

Back to school is typically a dreaded time among high school students because they have to worry about additional school work and other responsibilities. However, for members of the field hockey team, back to school means it’s finally time to get out on the field and play the sport that they love! This year, the field hockey team was introduced to three amazing new coaches: Coach Jess, Coach Snyder, and Mrs. G. All three of these inspiring coaches are connected to Oakland and Central Catholic, which makes the bonds they have formed with their players even more meaningful. Coach Jess’s husband, who is also Mrs. G’s son, works at Central, so many students know him from mission trips. Coach Snyder is Oakland’s college counselor, so the players have gotten to know her at school and on the field. Up until early August, the field hockey team didn’t have a head coach, so Coach Jess happily fulfilled the role. When asked why she decided to accept the head coaching position, she replied, “I know what it’s like to miss a senior year of a sport, and I couldn’t risk them having to forfeit the season. I didn’t want to see the program end, and I wanted to challenge myself.” Thanks to their new coaches, the team has noticeably improved since last season. Jess Huwar ‘20 commented on everyone’s determination this year and said, “We have a really awesome group of girls who are really dedicated to the sport and to helping each other succeed!” That statement could not be more accurate. After one month into the season, the team had a record of 4-2. The coaches and players are so proud of how much they have accomplished so far, and have high hopes for what the rest of the season has in store for them!