OC Soccer Takes the W

Meghan Pavlick '21, Arts and Entertainment Editor

In case you have not heard, OC soccer had a historical season! The soccer team went undefeated in the section going 12-0 along with an impressive record of 20-2. This was truly a season for the record books and a few of the team’s players had some impressive accomplishments. Five players made all-section and four made all-WPIAL on top of that! The five to make all-section include: Catie Hassett ’19, Anna Sproule ’19, Caitlyn Berl ’20, Maggie Storti ‘20 and Hannah Henn ’21, who had a staggering 29 goals and 16 assists on the season. Those who also made all-WPIAL are: Catie, Anna, Maggie, and Hannah.

So what did make the soccer team so special this season? Maggie Storti, the team’s goalie who had an impressive twelve shutouts said, “I think the unity of the whole team working together and striving for the same goal made this team so special. There was no superiority of someone compared to someone else. There were no cliques or special groups. It was one team. Everyone played a vital role.” All the girls seemed to agree that the success of this year’s team can be traced back to how well they work together. Why do the all the girls love playing soccer? That answer goes deeper than the fact that they love the game. Anna Sproule, a senior captain who also had the game-winning goal in the WPIAL championship against Mars answered, “Playing soccer at OC has always been one of my favorite parts of the school year. I love how close we are and I love how much the coaching staff cares about us.” This season was incredible for all the girls and coaching staff, so what do girls want to say to their teammates as the season end? Catie Hassett, another senior captain says, “I just want to say to everyone to keep working hard and continue to try your best. I believe you can have another amazing season next year and I’ll be cheering you all on!” That is one of the many things about OC soccer that makes the program so special. Even after girls graduate, they come back to cheer on the team because of the mark that OC soccer has left on them, especially this season.

To conclude their career at OC, Catie and Anna were asked what it means to them to have had such a successful last season with the team. Catie responded, “I think that all of our hard work has really paid off. It was such an incredible way to end with something that we’ve been working toward these past four years.” Anna also wanted to say, “Ending my soccer career with such a bang couldn’t make me happier. We worked very hard all four years so to get rewarded in the way that we did was amazing. I will miss OC soccer more than words can describe.” Congratulations to the entire soccer team and coaching staff for a season to remember!