Field Hockey: Time to Hit the Field

Emma Shaughnessy '20, Features Editor

This year, the Oakland Catholic Field Hockey Team gained a new assistant coach, Natalie Polk! Polk, OC alumna and D3 field hockey player for Dickinson College, accepted the job as assistant coach to teach the girls how to play smart. She often reminisces about her field hockey days and wishes she could be on the field with the team. Polk’s passion for the game has rubbed off on many of the players, and she has already taught them so much in a short period of time. Field Hockey’s head coach, Jessica Goldcamp, has loved coaching the team for her second year. At the beginning of the season, she and her husband had their second child, Graham, and the girls have loved the presence of her two boys at practices and games. 

One month into the season, the Oakland Catholic Eagles were 3-3, working hard to finish with a winning season. They have had many opportunities to capitalize on their skills this season than they have in the past. For instance, the JV team participated in a day-long tournament at Hempfield Area High School, where they learned better communication and bonded with each other. Many girls on the team have taken the initiative to plan team bonding events, such as yoga and a potluck, something the team has not done in the past. Varsity captain, Kat Kicinski ‘20, commented, “It’s great how everyone is really invested in the team this year and truly gets along with each other. Our team has never been this close before, so it’s going to make it even harder to say goodbye when the season ends.” 

Both the JV and Varsity players agree that the team dynamic is unlike any team they have been on in the past. Even though they do not win every game, they always try their hardest and are willing to learn from their mistakes. Despite the occasional excessive talking at practices, Coach Jess and Coach Natalie are really proud of the team’s achievements so far and have full confidence that the girls have what it takes to win a WPIAL title this year!