OC Crew Team on Keeping a Positive Perspective

Emma Holtz '20, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The spring sun has made its return to Pittsburgh, but unfortunately, OC Crew’s fleet will not get a chance to enjoy it. All spring sports, varsity and club, have been suspended until further notice by the unprecedented coronavirus pandemic. This is particularly disappointing for OC Rowing’s seniors, who will not get the chance to race together at one last Midwest Regatta to qualify for Nationals. This comes just days after the Midwest Committee finally cancelled events after holding out longer than most US Rowing regattas. 

While myself and my teammates are extremely shocked and saddened by this news, we can look back at our time with the OC Crew team with smiles. In my opinion, Crew is the ultimate team sport. While rowing in boats of eight, four, and two, each person is reliant on the others rowing with them to reach a common goal of crossing the finish line. Rowing builds a strong team mentality since every person contributes to boat speed efficiency in some way. Coxswains, the “mind” of the boat, rely on their rowers to propel them forward ahead of competitors. The rowers are the “body” of the boat; they delicately balance physicality with stroke technique to find the right connection between one another. It requires enormous amounts of trust, and I wish I could have built on that trust for one more season. However, I think I can speak for myself and the crew seniors when I say that we are leaving OC with memories and experiences on Oakland Catholic Crew that will last a lifetime.

Despite the loss of the spring 2020 season, the team is currently preparing and having conversations about how the organization can move forward. Margaret Kepler had an outstanding freshman season and hopes to build on the positive experience she had this season,

“Joining the Oakland Catholic Crew team during my freshman year was an amazing decision. I felt welcomed and encouraged to join, and the team is like a big family. Even with the cancellation of the spring season due to the coronavirus, we still stayed in touch through zoom meetings and virtual races. The pause in races was a shock but we still get excited for future opportunities and planned to make the best of what we got.”

As a team, we’ve utilized Zoom video conferencing quite a bit to stay in contact with the coaching staff and one another to continue building on what we’ve worked for all year. This Mother’s Day weekend would have been our Midwest Regatta in the unseasonably cold weather. However, this temporary interruption is exactly that – temporary. OC Crew is confident that this pandemic will not weaken those bonds, but strengthen them and create an even stronger and unified unit. On behalf of myself and the other crew seniors, we will cherish the memories we’ve made and the team mentality we’ve developed. Here’s to a great final season and even greater teammates. Best of luck OC Eagles and keep bringing in those medals!